An all-day event in support of the Society for the Promotion of Studies on Prehistoric Thera celebrating 50 years of excavations at the site of Akrotiri.
The excavation at the archaeological site of Akrotiri was begun in 1967 by Spyridon Marinatos. Five decades later, it is today considered to be among the most important in the world.
The important finds from the excavation formed a focal point of interest for visitors who came to visit the island shortly after on an island still very poor after the heavy toll of the earthquake of 1956. The first visitors of the modern island of Santorini came to the island because of the impressive finds that came to light in the 1960s and onwards. The island today owes so much to the Akrotiri Excavation and in the last few years, citizens, cultural groups and businesses are standing by Akrotiri.
Under this framework, the Municipality of Thera Cultural Committee, the Estia of Pyrgos Cultural Centre, the Santorini Arts Factory, Selene Restaurant and La Ponta, will organise an all-day celebration for the excavation of Akrotiri. The Society for the Promotion of Studies on Prehistoric Thera will of course be present for the day.
A celebration that will unite the present with the past, through the seminars for children and adults, photography exhibitions and talks as well as food, wine, music and a raffle draw in order to also raise funds for the Akrotiri conservation Labs.
The Society for the Promotion of Studies on Prehistoric Thera, has as its main purpose to support of the excavations of Akrotiri, led by Emeritus Professor of the University of Athens and director of the excavation, Professor Christos Doumas. The Society throughout the crisis has tried to raise funds in order to continue the conservation work of the important archaeological finds and the promotion of the archaeological site.
As Akrotiri is not only a culturally significant part of the heritage of the island but also of the modern history of Santorini, we ask you to join us for this special occasion at the Santorini Arts Factory.
The entrance to all the spaces of the event will be free of charge and we certainly hope to see you there.
An all-day event in support of the Society for the Promotion of Studies on Prehistoric Thera, celebrating 50 years of excavations at the site of Akrotiri.
- 15.00-22.00:Photography exhibition about the 50 years of excavations at the site of Akrotiri.
- 16.00-19.00:Modern ceramics workshop for children with pottery made by Andreas Makaris.
- 16.00-19.30:Ceramics and wall-paintings conservation workshop for children with the conservation team and volunteers.
- 16.00-19.30: Akrotiri fresco themed painting workshop for children with local artists volunteers
- The Society gift shop will be open to the public throughout the day in support of the conservation labs while you will also have the opportunity to become a member of the Society.
- Monkeys, Boxers and Antilopes. Building Beta from the excavation of 1967 to the study in 2017. Speech by Irene Nikolakopoulou, Fragoula Georma and Iannis Bitis about Beta.
- Introductory speech by Professor Christos Doumas
- Musical performance by Yiannis Pantazis and NAMASTE – Thanasis Kleopas (guitar), Kyriakos Fotiades (keybord) and Panagiotis Alepidis (drums, percussion instruments & voice)
- 21.15 Raffle draw